Thursday, March 27, 2008

Chapter Thirty-One (Part One)

Back in Bluewater Village, Malcolm Landgraab IV spent the morning screaming into his receiver -- this time, at one of the contractors he'd hired to finish the strip mall he was building. "What?" he yelled. "You mean you can't finish the project because I can't procure the land? It's not my damn fault! I've done everything I can from my end. Can't you evict the Tinkers?"
He buried his face in his hands. He couldn't believe what was happening to him. He'd grown up with a silver spoon in his mouth -- and the lofty legacy of his family to protect -- and for the first time in his life he'd heard the word 'no.' For the first time in his professional career, someone had told him he didn't have permission to bulldoze their property. And it was a mere slip of a girl, too, barely out of her teens. Sure, he secretly admired her gumption, but did it have to happen to him? Why? And why now?
He reflected on the events that had taken place since that fateful Christmas party when everything as he'd known it in Bluewater Village had changed. Even the Bluewater to which he'd first arrived had changed, too, in no small part because of him. There were more businesses here now than full-time residences. The people had sacrificed their lives and lifestyles for, as he put it, the 'betterment of Bluewater.' But was it really?
His reverie was interrupted by the ringing doorbell. Ah, pleasurable company, the Missus Goth, née Dina Caliente. She'd recently wed the retired mad scientist, Mortimer Goth.
Malcolm took a look at Dina. She was certainly attractive, with blond waves that dusted her shoulders and cheery green eyes. Her red dress hugged her considerable curves in all the right places.
He had a weakness for this sort, and he knew he would need to check his lust at the door. After all, she was a married woman, and women married to men like Mr. Goth just didn't embark on relationships with him.
"What brings you here?" Malcolm asked almost breathlessly, attempting to hide his passion. His grandfather had warned him about Jezebels -- not to fall into their trap.
Dina was quite forthcoming. "I want a baby," she said outright, "and my husband is infertile."
"Have you tried fertility treatments?" Malcolm asked tersely.
"You, Mr. Landgraab, are the only fertility treatment I need," Dina said, "young and handsome and virile."
Malcolm sighed. "There's one minor flaw in your plan, Mrs. Goth," he said, "we're both blond haired and the Goth family is dark."
In a seductive voice Dina replied, after changing into another stunning outfit, "I'm -- sure -- we could work something out."
Malcolm marvelled at this striking woman's bravado. "Look," she said, her voice low, her gaze direct, "I don't care if it's from outer space. If I don't bear a child, I don't get a red cent of that massive fortune of his." She stroked her fingers lightly up his sleeve.
"So, what do you say?"
She was a woman after his own heart, determined, money driven. In a different scenario, this would have been perfect. But he realized how desperate she was. The Goths and the Landgraabs had always been society rivals, with the Goths always pipping the Landgraabs at the post for the biggest fortune accumulated in Simland. Dina wasn't exactly 'mother' material, and she knew it. Swallowing her pride, she had decided to 'make a go of it' on her wedding night. With a few grunts, and groans, and the fear that her poor husband's heart would give out before the night was over, Dina was deeply disappointed when she wasn't successful at conceiving a child.
Malcolm smirked at Dina. "Why didn't you try for that Ramirez guy you were banging?"
Dina blanched at the thought. "I did," she replied dryly, "but he was always 'careful.' Apparently, he was thinking about his 'family.'"
"And what happened?"
"He dropped me like a brick," Dina pouted, "some snot of a kid, went and blabbed about us to his wife."
Malcolm sighed. It all had come back to him now. Melody Tinker's stunning rant at the Bluewater Village Christmas party, during which she'd railed on everyone in town, himself included. Everything had come full circle. How the heck had she known about the affair? Malcolm wondered. With her obvious knack for finding out things, if they weren't bitter enemies, Malcolm would have put her on the pay roll.
Malcolm ushered Dina into his spacious living room and then led her to his hot tub. Without knowing it he'd fallen right into her trap.




Melody heard the sound of tinkling glass and her heart sank. She knew that meant only one thing. Her precious hybrid was about to suffer a swift and painful death. She'd kept that greenhouse at a constant 90 degree temperature while propagating the seedlings. But when she got to the greenhouse, there was nobody there. The only clue was the head of the plant lolling indulgently, its udders under it's chin slightly swollen. By the roots of the plant, there was a scrap of fleece, which by Melody's quick deductions, could only come from the costume of the cow mascot.
Quick as a flash, she pocketed the scrap of fabric. And waited for an opportune moment to dispose of it properly. The cow mascot was nowhere to be seen.
She grabbed her cell phone and buzzed Chester.
Chester was eating pizza with Jessica McClellan, his girlfriend, when the phone rang. "Hello?" Chester droned.
"Ches, it's me, Mel. Look, could you come over to Aldrich? Something's -- happened -- with the plant."
Chester didn't like the tone of Melody's voice. "I'm on my way as soon as I can," he told her, wiping the pizza crumbs from his mouth.
Jessica made a face. "Who was that?"
Chester didn't want to lie to her, but he didn't want to tell her the truth either.
"That was that psycho Melody, wasn't it? I tell you, Chester, with a friend like that who needs enemies?"
Chester let out a deep groan as he returned to his seat.

Dr. Marcel Hyden stepped out of a taxi and surveyed the exterior of Aldrich Honors Dormitory. A redhaired guy he knew well stepped outside, on his way to his night class. "Mr. Gieke!" Dr. Hyden called.
Chester was surprised. "Hello, Dr. Hyden," he greeted, "how are you today?"
Dr. Hyden rubbed his chin. He had no time for small talk. "Have you seen Miss Tinker?" he asked.
Frowning, Chester replied, "I don't live here. And if you're looking for Melody, she isn't here either."
Shaking his head, Dr. Hyden said, "Well, I'm sure you know what time she'll be back."
"If I did know," Chester told Dr. Hyden, "I sure as heck wouldn't tell you."
"Are you being smart with me, Gieke?" asked Dr. Hyden.
"I'm just telling you, I wouldn't know. I don't live here."
"I'd like to come in anyway, to inspect the premises."
Chester folded his arms. "Dr. Hyden, I know why you're coming. You're looking for that formula aren't you?"
"Look, Gieke, I don't know what you and Miss Tinker are trying to hide, but you can't hide too much longer. I'm on to you, the pair of you."
I dodged the military every day while I was in Strangetown, Chester thought, an aged, bespectacled professor doesn't frighten me at all. "You've got nothing on me or Melody," he shot back.
"Tinker's got you thinking you're both bullet proof. Well, you're sadly mistaken."
"Dr. Hyden, I realize you're a tenured professor who's been in your field for years, but can't you admit for once that someone has you beat?" Chester realized that it was six in the evening and it was time for him to go to his nuclear physics class. He was tempted to leave to go to his class, but he didn't trust Dr. Hyden to keep his nose out of Aldrich while he was gone.

5 comments:

scarlet_white said...

This is the first time I come read this story I think and I picked your latest chapter, the narrative flows very well and the images fit quite well, it is very different from other sims stories which the narrative is under the images, this seems more like a book with pictures. I like how you depicted Dina and Malcolm, and how desperate she is to conceive, and I am wondering if Melody really know what a cowplant does. Seems she doesn't, and the cow mascto didn't know either. Now that his pizza friend is comming hope he does well. I need to go back eventually to read more of previous installments. Even as I picked this installment and th series was well started by now, it is good and I understood plenty, I think. Melody seems very likeable, if my own procastination doesn't defeat me I will read more of her.

S@ndy said...

Great update, I love that you included Dina in this chapter, looks like we will have more characters now...

I can't wait to read next chatper.!

Great job.

venusdemilo said...

Hey Sandy,
Dina serves a purpose. Believe me.

Leah said...

Malcolm and Dina, a very interesting "couple" - I certainly hope Dina's gonna be more trouble for him, hehehe!

And that Dr. Hyden... grrrrrr!

I just hate him, but that's okay. I love to be able to hate a few characters in each story I read.
What would we do without them? LOL!

Great chapter!
I hope you'll be able to update again soon.

Gayl said...

Finally had a chance to get caught up here. Dina and Malcolm...now that's interesting.

It seems that Dr. Hyden is still his usual irritating self. I really hope he gets busted at some point.